Whitworth Volleyball

Whitworth Volleyball

Monday, June 30, 2014

ONE WORD

Good Afternoon Girls!

What a great day!  I just finished One Word: that will change your life.  First, I want to give thanks to my wife for encouraging me to read this book.  It was given to me by one of my best friends whom I've had the privilege of growing up with.  Thanks Rob Owen for always thinking of me!  Additionally, shortly after I received this book, Kati and I sat down to talk about being your assistant volleyball coach at Whitworth University, which has been a gift of grace.  I feel very privileged to be a part of our team. Lastly, I need to thank my wife for spurring me on to read this.  She actually read the book right after Rob gave it to me and found her word....Initiative.  I've been inspired to see her live out that word this past year. She has completed a 1.7 mile swim, two sprint triathlons, countless training sessions to get ready for those competitions, as well as conquered many other small feats within her job, our home, and with no warning this past year....her health by taking INITIATIVE.  How come it took me a year!?

That's a great question!  Nonetheless, I'm elated we're sharing this book as a team.  I've thought of many words during this reading, such as prayer, discipline, intimacy, encouragement and balance.  I want to continue to pray on my One Word, and work on carrying out the action plan that's in the end of the book. Like some of you, I will post my One Word once I've got a clear picture of what it is.  I want to pray and search my heart for my word so it has significance and purpose for me wherever I go.  I don't want it to be a simple goal or resolution (as the book says).  I'd rather it be a word that continues in helping define me. 

Your posts have been inspiring girls!  Izze, thanks for "breaking the ice"....taking the lead on the first post.  Thanks to the rest of our team for posting your thoughts and quotes.  Each of you have inspired me.  Please text or call any of your teammates to encourage them to read this book and make a post.  I loved the African proverb towards the end of this book.  "If you want to go fast, go alone; but if you want to go FAR, go TOGETHER."  That's so true of great teams, isn't it? 

Have a great week girls and I hope to hear from more of our team...
Win The Day!

Pancho

3 comments:

  1. Hello everyone! I have loved and read everything that you all have said about One Word. I think the words that you have chosen so far are awesome! Like some of you, my word came to me pretty quickly. So quickly, in fact, that I questioned whether or not it was the right word. My One Word is RELEASE. I am a pretty constrained person, and I want to break out of my own restraints and allow myself to be more open to life. I looked up this word on Webster's Dictionary online (I'm sure this comes as a complete surprise to some of you). The definitions I found include "to set free from restraint; to let go; to relieve from something that confines, burdens, or oppresses". Upon reading further, the website defined the intransitive verb release as "to move from one's normal position (as in football or basketball) in order to assume another position or to perform a second assignment". As Izze often says, this was definitely a God wink that confirmed my One Word. I am excited to live out my One Word with the rest of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I was camping this last week and completely spaced on posting about the book. Better late than never I guess. This was a great read. Here is a quote that stood out to me:

    "You do need to measure progress because that which you can measure you can grow. But you must do so knowing that numbers don't motivate people. Motivated people produce great numbers. Real motivation is driven by a passion and purpose to do great work, grow, and make a difference."

    The word I chose is GIVE. I find that I am happiest when giving to others, but sometimes I get so caught up in my own life that I fail to see the needs of other people. I want to give all I have to you, my teammates to make this team successful. I want to give more time to strengthening my relationship with God. And I want to give as much as I can to help other people out.

    I look forward to applying this word everyday and seeing how it changes my life. I hope you all have a great Fourth of July :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello all! Reading One Word was truly a great experience and I think that anyone could benefit from this book. (I am going to share it with my family)
    My word came to me within the first couple pages. PURPOSE. This word stood out to me and I know that I need to focus on it more in my everyday life. I am confident that it will help me as a volleyball player, student, friend, and family member to intentionally think about the purpose of my thoughts and actions.
    When the book asked about a Stretch Team, I loved that my new Whitworth team came straight to my mind. I think it would be fun to do something for team bonding during the season to make something that says our word and then put them in our lockers, or to come up with a team "one word" for the whole season.
    Counting down the days until we all meet! Hope you are all enjoying summer as much as I am :)

    ReplyDelete